WHO warns of third deadly wave in Europe

Copenhagen: A 10-week decline in new coronavirus infections across Europe has come to an end and a new wave of infections is inevitable if citizens and lawmakers do not remain disciplined, says the head of the WHO in Europe , Hans Kluge, at a press conference on Thursday.

Last week, the number of new cases increased by 10%, due to increased mixing, travel, gatherings and the easing of social restrictions, Kluge said.

This is happening in the context of a rapidly changing situation. A worrying new variant – the Delta variant – and in a region where despite considerable efforts by member states, millions of people are still unvaccinated, he said.

There will be a new surge in the WHO European region if we don’t stay disciplined, he added.

Meanwhile, a European Union Covid-19 travel certificate launched on Thursday could help some make trips, but arrivals to tourist hotspots from Portugal to Croatia are expected to remain well below normal levels, putting a spotlight on hotel businesses and jobs at risk.

Portugal’s tourism recovery has stalled, said Raul Martins, head of the country’s AHP hotel association, of new travel restrictions from Britain and Germany, normally lucrative markets for tourists. Portugal’s beaches, restaurants and clubs.

The fast-spreading Delta variant of the coronavirus is driving a rise in cases in the Algarve’s tourist magnet Albufeira and is behind more than half of new infections in the capital Lisbon.

Add to that Britain’s decision last month to remove Portugal from its green list of destinations and Germany’s decision to limit travel there just before the introduction of EU certificates indicating the double vaccination of a tourist or Covid-free status.

Even before the German decision and a recent Portuguese rule requiring unvaccinated British travelers to self-quarantine, hotels were forecasting occupancy rates of just 43% this month and 46% in August. AHP said hotels would be more optimistic if polled now.